In full transparency, I have been deep diving into the world of less toxic skincare…and sort of loving it! Here is why…
Because for me less is more, and having companies come clean about trying to be clean and more sustainable is even better. I understand that there are two sides to every story, and that no matter how hard anyone tries traces of less than healthy substances get into foods, makeup, lotions, etc. But when people are committed to putting people first…I can completely get behind it. Largely because I am a big believer that everyone and everything carries energy. I would rather support and use products made by people trying to raise others up, in whatever way that means. I have a daughter. Who one day will probably want to wear makeup (a day I hope is FAR, FAR AWAY). Currently, the United States hasn’t updated its beauty and skincare regulations since 1938, and only bans 30 ingredients. Europe bans 1,300! Now again, no one is perfect. But I’m not asking for perfect…just evolution and conscious consideration. I personally really enjoyed this article from Choice with a take home point that cosmetic companies should have to divulge if they use chemicals that have been banned, even in different countries, but they are not required to do so. Ingredients labels should be black and white, but they’re not, with affordable products, and products marketed to tweens being among the worst offenders. Different things are going to work for different people, so it pays to consult with professionals and be an informed consumer. Which, is truly all I am trying to be, and in doing so passing along some of what I’m loving and learning! For now, here are some lip products I’m REALLY enjoying!
- Honest Company Lip Crayon: They list all of the ingredients of each color with many being natural butters and fruit extracts. It’s super easy to put on, goes on sheer with just enough color, feels really moisturizing when you apply, and it lasts. The price point also isn’t too bad considering it ranks right in or under with other products I tried!
- Altfore 100% Vegan Moisturizing Lip Gloss:This packs some sparkle! So, if that’s not for you, you might want to check out the other options! But, if it is, then it’s a fun option! AltFore’s luscious lip gloss line is a gluten-free and vegan-friendly product. It’s advertised as ingredients are that are natural, eco-friendly, and free from parabens, sulfates, and phthalates. It’s primarily made with jojoba oil, which I personally happen to really like!
- BeautyCounter Sheer Lipstick: I will be fully honest I love a lot of their products. But, especially, this lipstick. It goes on SO beautifully, and I know that because of their mission to advocate for better (and more transparent) beauty products and their Never List, that I feel good about wearing it! In addition, they’re a Certified B Corporation who just started partnering with other clean beauty companies to help them along!
- Omorovicza Perfecting Lip Balm: This is a complete SPLURGE item (45 dollars) that I stumbled across in a spa at a hotel we were at in Miami. However, as someone who used to wear Vasaline to bed for dry lips and knew I needed to change I will absolutely buy it again, which will be in a WHILE. It will possibly last me a year since you need to use SO little (just a dab on your pointer finger) and it goes a LONG way! It uses shea butter and eucalyptus oil and is AMAZINGLY nourishing if your lips are dry.
- BeautyCounter Lip Conditioner in Calendula: If you want another lip nourisher that isn’t as pricey as the Perfecting Lip Balm, this is a WINNER! Formulated with soothing and softening avocado oil, shea butter, meadowfoam seed oil, and jojoba oil. It’s also infused with calendula and chamomile oils, calming ingredients that help protect chapped lips. I put it on a lot during the day, because it isn’t too thick! Another bonus, BeautyCounter has a 60-day return policy! So, if you don’t love something you just send it back!